Saturday 25 August 2012

High Bradley Wind Turbines

Update

The planning application for the wind turbines has been refused. the refusal notice can be found here on Durham County Councils website . The majority of the people that attended a public meeting on the turbines were against. This can be viewed as a postive outcome for those in the local area who have voiced concerns on the matter. It's is a strange anomaly tha the majority of wind turbines are in the North East of England and in Scotland but the majority of electricty is consumed by the South East.

I have only one concern about the refusal however: One of the objectors was the Coal Authority. The presnce of wind turbines could make a planning application for an opencast coalmine less straight forward. Many local residents might describe wind turbines as an eysore - a blot on the Landscape. My house faces the site and if I was forced to choose between looking out onto 2 wind turbines or a permanent and irreversible carving up of the landscape and ecology of the area in which live and have grown up, I know which one I would choose.



Report from public meeting 10/07/12

I was at a public meeting last night about the proposal to erect two 45m high twin blade wind turbines near to High Bradley farm, between Leadgate and Medomsley. The turbines will be visible from my kitchen window and back garden.

I spoke at the meeting, saying that renewables were the future and that both land based and offshore wind had to be part of that. Then I pointed out that there were several wind turbines in the North West of County Durham. There are several of the very large variety; 125m ones at Tow Law, Burhope and overlooking Shotley Bridge. There are a few of the smaller variety; the 50m one at Greencroft and I think there are a few near Quaking Houses.

I then asked if the number of wind turbines already in North West Durham would be taken into account in the planning process. I was not given a straight answer on this by either of the County councillors present (one of whom is on the planning committee). I can't work out whether ‘cumulative effect’ would carry greater weight than ‘precedent’, maybe they couldn't either.

The owner of the land was not at the meeting but his agent spoke, puttting forward the case for the turbines. The loudest voices in the meeting were strongly against. We are lucky enough to live in a democracy. It is the views of the majority of the local community that should count.

2 comments:

Gordon said...

Liam,

I was also at the meeting. While I agree with the premise of renewables, I’m not completely convinced about efficiency of wind turbines.

I live in Bradley Cottages, and will see the turbines out of my window. I’ve taken the time to look at the plans, and was aware these weren’t as tall as other turbines in this area. But, I’m of the view these turbines would be in the wrong place.

I have formally objected to the proposal, but not on the grounds of my view. I’m not sure my view is a valid argument for the planning committee.

There were some good points raised at the meeting – it could well be that if this proposed turbine is built, it could be the first of many.

I have my doubts this application will be approved. I see two of the noted consultees have already objected, one being The Coal Authority.

But we’ll have to wait and see.

Unknown said...

I used to live at Bradley Cottages near the top, I now live at Medomsley and I will be able to see the wind turbines from my kitchen window. It is clear why UK Coal would object, if the wind turbines were to go ahead it then becomes more difficult for UK to get planning permission for Opencast. I would hate for our local landscape to be surface mined. If I was forced to choose then I could live with two small(ish) wind turbines out the back of my house. I would find the prolonged effects of an Opencast coalmine much more difficult to cope with.

PS A detrimental effect on your enjoyment of the landscape (in other words the view) is a valid objection, a drop in house price however, is not.